Friday, January 2, 2015

FFWD Simplest Breton Fish Soup


New Year's Eve.  My best friend says that it's even worse than Valentine's Day.  There's so much pressure to have interesting plans.  Last year Paul's mom was in town so we actually went out to dinner (barely qualifies as exciting), but this year we had no such luck.  We both got off of work early (yay!) so we played with Charlotte and her friend at the park, cooked dinner, and the three of us ate together.  After Charlotte went to sleep Paul and I had dessert and went to bed early.  Everything was great until the midnight fireworks woke Charlotte.

For dinner, I made the fish soup, salad, and roasted butternut squash.  Paul really liked the soup.  Charlotte wouldn't touch the fish or potatoes but she loved drinking the broth, and loved opening mussels although she didn't actually eat any.  I'm kind of with Charlotte on this one, except I did like the potatoes.  I think I just need to accept that I'm not a big fan of sardines or mussels, and the cod I bought just wasn't very good at all.  Oh well.  The highlight of our meal was definitely the dessert.  I know Rachael Ray isn't popular, but I made her chocolate pots de creme and they really were excellent.  Quick, easy, used ingredients I always have on hand, and delicious.  I'll definitely be making those again.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry this wasn't a win for you.
    I actually like RR's older recipes - I haven't followed her as much lately, but many of here original recipes are pretty good (she is actually from my area and started off on a local news station).
    We chose to celebrate quietly as well - fortunately, no fireworks here (Just banging doors when the girls came home from their evenings out...)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the soup wasn’t a winner for you! My hubby and I both really enjoyed it…which surprised me, because I didn’t expect much from this dish! Your New Years sounds perfect to me…I have never been a big fan of NYE! I'd rather a quite evening with family and/or friends! Happy New Year, Jora!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked rachael rays old stuff too.. I think she just over extended herself. I never feel pressured to do anything fancy for New Year's Eve. I'm usually in bed before midnight and we have a nice brunch the next day. Sounds like you had a lovely time. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had very similar New Year's Eve dinners. I served the fish soup and had pots de creme for dessert. Howard makes a Cooks Illustrated recipe. I would have been asleep before midnight (Howard was), but I stayed up to wash dishes. I didn't want to face a dirty kitchen on New Years Day morning. I also like RR's older stuff, I even have some of her early cookbooks. It's good solid fare, easy to cook. Looks like a lot of people are in the same camp. Happy New Year, Jora!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to miss this one---but we're having a blast in New Zealand! I don't think Bill will be too upset that I didn't serve him fish stew ;) Happy New Year, my friend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry this wasn't a hit for you. Everyone seems to love the vinaigrette who has tried it, though. We have a pretty low key New Year's Eve dinner, as we go to a get together and meditation with Kevin's sangha every year. It's a very calm and joyous way to start off the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents are self-declared home bodies and I always loved New Year's Eve growing up. With just the immediate family we would buy fancy appetizer-type food and have a gourmet night in while watching classic movies. It felt ritzy because of the food: shrimp cocktail, baked brie, pate, each year was different but always upscale. The food was always purchased or required minimal prep to allow my parents to recover from all the Christmas cooking. We would also have sparkling cider (or the like) for the kids and sparkling wine for the parents. My husband and I tend to get together with friends for NYE, but to be honest, I'm rather looking forward to the year when plans fall through and we end up recreating the ritzy night in from my childhood. All of which is a long way to say, embrace it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We agreed on this soup. We had equally as exciting a new year's eve as you all. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your New Year's Eve sounds lovely (and I have to agree with your friend). We liked this soup, but then, mussels are a favorite. Sorry you didn't enjoy it so much, but then again, you did have chocolate for dessert, so it wasn't all bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never was very keen on New Year's Eve festivities. Michael and I were always early-to-bed and up with the rooster so Midnight never worked for us - new year or not. But, we always had nice dinners and yours sound lovely. Sorry you didn't like the soup - I happen to love mussels so hopefully I'll find fresh ones in California next week. Tell Ms. Charlotte that "broth" is very "in vogue" these days. Happy, healthy New Year to you three.

    ReplyDelete