Tuesday, June 17, 2014

TWD Phylloccine Ice Cream Sandwiches


I like to think that I'm pretty good at sharing (at least that's what I'm going to tell Charlotte when I start trying to teach her about it), but I hate sharing desserts.  Appetizers, salads, and side dishes (even entrees) can be good for sharing, but I love having my own dessert!  I had 7 oz of phyllo in the freezer that I wanted to use up, and it was just Paul and I for dinner, so I decided to cut the recipe in half.  Once the phyllo nests were baked, I decided that I really only needed to eat one a day.  (I think I mentioned that I'm, half-heartedly, trying to lose the rest of the baby weight.)  I thought about making one pretty ice cream sandwich so that I could take a photo and then splitting it with Paul, but then I remembered the above.  So, I just made each of us a half of a sandwich.  I put ice cream on the plate, followed by raspberry salad, and some whipped cream.  I topped it with a phyllo nest and the skewered fruit.  It wasn't quite as pretty, but it still tasted great, and this way we'll have dessert ready for a few extra nights.  I made my own vanilla ice cream for this recipe, replacing the sugar with maple syrup.  I was feeling lazy and used a recipe that didn't call for a custard.  I just mixed the heavy cream, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla, and chilled it before churning.  The ice cream is pretty good (I love the maple flavor), but next time I'll take the extra time to make the custard.  In my experience custard based ice cream is much creamier, and less icy, although if anyone has a different experience (and a recipe to share) I'd love to hear about it.

5 comments:

  1. Desserts aren't meant to be shared, are they?
    The maple ice cream sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who wants to share the best part of dinner?!? I've never had a great result making a straight up Philadelphia-style ice cream either, except when I've had enough people over to eat the whole batch the same day it's made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't share either! Sounds amazing...maybe I shouldn't have skipped this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prefer not to share... I made only half a recipe as well, and there is only me this week! Yikes. Not good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Admire your restraint ��. They look great and I like the sound of your ice cream.

    ReplyDelete