Friday, November 22, 2013

FFWD Salty-Sweet Potato Far


In the almost 4 years that I've worked in the DC office of my company, I've probably purchased lunch less than 10 times.  Almost every day I just eat leftovers from the night before.  I think my co-workers used to be surprised by my unusual lunches (in part because I don't eat red meat, I eat a lot of unusual things like lentil "meatballs" for lunch) but by now they've gotten used to it.  So, when I brought my leftover far in for lunch they took one look at it and asked me what I was eating.  Someone guessed souffle, and someone else bread pudding.  I started to explain that I'm participating in this group that's cooking through a cookbook, and so I had to make this recipe this week even though it wasn't one I ever would've chosen.  Someone immediately cut me off, and challenged whether I really "had" to make the recipe.  I explained that I'm a total rules follower and so, yes, if the group chose it I had to make it.  I then started describing what was in the far: bacon (turkey), shredded potatoes, raisins, plums, and pancake batter (flour, eggs, and milk).  One of my co-workers commented, correctly, that it was like someone just took all of the traditional breakfast ingredients and crammed them together.  I think that describes this recipe quite well.  However, this was one of those cases where the whole seemed to be less than the sum of its parts.  I love all of the ingredients individually, and generally have no problem with recipes that mix savory and sweet, but I wasn't a big fan of this recipe.  It just seemed a little heavy, a little leaden, and a little bland.  I, stupidly, didn't listen to Dorie and reduced the salt called for which certainly didn't help, but even if the salt had been right I just don't think I would've been a big fan of this recipe.  It was okay to try, but it isn't one I'll be making again.

9 comments:

  1. I don't think you are alone in your feelings :-)
    I wish the recipe had been written with sweet potatoes and salt instead... (Maybe with a little cheese thrown in for good measure)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of this as a breakfast food. Maybe a fried egg on top would help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the proportion were off.. too cake like. More egg and maybe some cheese then it could have been a "main event" like Dorie said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This week's recipe was definitely not a favorite. I added cheese and it didn't help. The pancake batter got very thick and gluey, heavy, so leftovers were even more disappointing then hot out of the oven. Oh, well, there's always next week! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't reduce the salt and found it needed more. I would have liked this had it been more custardy and silky like a real "far".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am guessing that there is an serious error in the recipe some where!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a good sport for giving this one a shot. I have a feeling I may not try to make this one up :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in the exception by liking it but as I have posted on other blogs- the version of the dish I totally wolfed down was the cauliflower one and it seems that this was also more souffle like in texture, due to the changes I had to make to get the batter less dry. That helped the cause big time. Still an adventure, as usual. And kudos to you for packing lunch so often. Such a great use of healthier foods, time and resources !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even cheese didn't help mine - perhaps if it had some more flavour - more flavourings, really, I might have liked it better.

    ReplyDelete