Friday, October 18, 2013

FFWD Caramel-Almond Custard Tart


When this posts we'll be finishing up a whirlwind 4 cities in 8 days trip to visit Paul's family in Oregon.  This will be Charlotte's first plane trip, and her first trip to meet most of Paul's family.  I'm excited, but more than a little bit scared about all of the time spent on planes and cars.  So fingers crossed for us!  Since I don't eat beef I skipped the Boeuf a la mode and made this dessert before we left on vacation, as part of my birthday dinner....I just re-read my post from my birthday last year, and I'm happy to say that things are definitely feeling a million times better.  Pregnancy and having a newborn wasn't always easy, but Charlotte has brought so much happiness that I can easily say that 31 was the best year of my life.  However, my birthday celebration this year was not as exciting as it has been in year's past!  My grandma was in town and we all loved seeing her, but Charlotte is still unpredictable in the evenings (and is starting to go to sleep on the early side) so we all went out to brunch and stayed home for dinner.  Paul made an Italian feast--homemade bread, Caesar salad with homemade croutons, eggplant parmigiana, acorn squash puree, and spinach with garlic--and I was in charge of dessert.  I wanted to make something more exciting, but since my time is limited and I needed to make the tart before we left for vacation I went with the tart.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It was relatively quick to put together and I enjoyed the caramel nut flavor.  It was like a sophisticated, less-gooey pecan pie.  This is definitely one I'd make again if I needed a relatively quick dessert for company. 

12 comments:

  1. I think this tart is pretty sophisticated - yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a keeper for sure! We loved it! Yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one reminded me of pecan pie too, though much lighter. Happy belated birthday, Jora. I hope you have a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your description-"sophisticated less gooey pecan pie". Spot on. Great job and happy birthday. Amazing what can happen in a year no ? And good luck with all that traveling. Keep the expectations low and let the good times surprise you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmh... this is the second pecan pie comparison so far. It makes me wish I weren't such a klutz with pastry. Seems like I missed out on a really special custard recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like I got to search for this pecan pie recipe!! Love love those almonds in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like the perfect ending to a wonderful meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think likening this one to pecan pie is certainly on the mark! I have some ideas of how I can tweak it for our Thanksgiving faves for a little flair this Thanksgiving! :)

    It's hard to keep up with a growing infant, it gets easier and easier but harder in a different way as well - but its all fun! And eventually Charlotte will be eating all these yummy things right along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you enjoyed the tart. We loved it too. I hope all went well with your trip. Traveling with children can be very unpredictable but I'm sure everyone appreciated your efforts so they could spend time with Charlotte. Your birthday dinner sounds pretty darned good too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jora, your birthday dinner party sounds terrific and I hope that all went well while travelling with baby Charlotte! Your tart looks absolutely wonderful and so very pretty - I am glad that we all seem to have really enjoyed this dessert tart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday and have a great trip! Sounds like an adventure :-)
    This tart was good and celebration worthy for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you are enjoying the trip home. I just experienced travel with two teenage boys and it was quite an adventure.

    ReplyDelete