Monday, May 6, 2013

TWD Upside Down Cake


I'm trying to learn to be just a little bit more flexible (Paul, Mom, anybody else who's reading this, you can stop laughing now!), and my cooking seems like a good place to start.  I'd much prefer to follow directions exactly, but getting rhubarb and baby cake pans was going to be expensive and kind of a pain, so I decided to make do with what I had.  Paul is growing rhubarb, but we had a very cold March and the rhubarb doesn't get much sun anyway, so it's nowhere near ready yet.  I read in the paper that rhubarb isn't even available at the farmer's market yet, and at Whole Foods it was $7.99/lb.  I did, however, have a bag of frozen figs from our tree that I've been meaning to use up.  The suggestion in the recipe head-notes that this could be made with any fruit gave me the confidence to substitute figs.  Although I'd love to buy baby cake pans (and now that I'm thinking about it I might actually have some in the basement somewhere) they weren't readily available, but I do have a nice cast iron skillet so I decided to follow the instructions for one big cake instead.  Once that was decided, the rest of the recipe was easy.  The most annoying part--by far--was nicely arranging all of my fig halves, only to realize (stupid me!) that when you're making an upside down cake you have to start with the pretty side down.  Oh well.  Flipping them all over wasn't actually that bad.  Once that was settled, the batter came together in no time.  I really like upside down cakes--they're pretty and so much easier than having to frost a cake--and this is definitely one that I'll make again.  Maybe when our rhubarb is ready!

10 comments:

  1. I agree - Upside down cakes are a treat - drama with out the work.
    Figs sound like they would go really nice with this.
    Rhubarb isn't in season up here yet either. I really had a hard time buying something that I am so used to pulling from behind my parents garage - for free...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten figs--I need to get out more. Luckily our rhubarb is ready, just walk in the back yard and pick some. It was delicious. I'll make this cake often--so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Figs would be good. This was a great cake and could me made with so many different toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Figs sound like a great and economical substitution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Figs would make an interesting substitute with the caramel and pecans. Will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to be your neighbour and stop for a piece of fig cake. What a wonderful way to use them! Love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think fig sounds amazing! Wow, I thought 4.99/lb was a lot. I did end up finding rhubarb at the farmer's market - seven stalks for eight bucks. Still pricy in my book. This cake is so very versatile - I can't wait to try other versions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I resisted the temptation to buy baby cake pans, too. And your fig version sounds fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely try this with rhubarb when it's ready. Mine's not ready either, but some friends of my parents have a bumper crop already. Figs sound like a great variation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I paid $5.99 a pound. Sheesh. All the other ingredients were at-hand, so I didn't feel too bad about that! :) Figs were a gret idea!

    ReplyDelete