Friday, June 8, 2012

FFWD Olive Oil Ice Cream


On our trip to Portland last month we were wandering around on a gorgeous Monday afternoon and noticed a long line outside of an ice cream shop.  We were shocked to see someplace so crowded in the middle of a workday, so we decided we had to try it.  I was glad the line was so long, because it gave us a chance to read all of the incredible flavors at Salt and Straw.  By the time we got to the front of the line, I really wanted to try one of everything.  Luckily, one of the two we picked was Arbequina Olive Oil.  It was incredible.  It was rich and creamy, but the olive oil and salt managed to cut the richness and give it a very interesting flavor.  

I was very excited when I got back from the trip and saw olive oil ice cream on our list of recipes for the month.  I've been making ice cream for a couple of years now, but I don't think I made this one as well as I could have.  I'm still mad at myself over it, but trying to learn to let go (on this, and many other things that are entirely out of my control....).  I let it cook too long - it didn't seem thick enough - and the eggs started to curdle.  I think this gave it a somewhat grainy texture.  That, combined with the oil, made this taste a little bit like Tofutti to me.  Not bad, but definitely not nearly as good as the one from Salt and Straw.  I also thought that it might have had more egg yolks than theirs.  It tasted a little too custardy to me.  Paul insisted that I'm crazy, it's all in my head, and the ice cream was in fact very good.  I'm not sure.  I'm definitely going to try making this one again, but maybe cut back on the eggs, and definitely try to focus better.  The two of us ate it all in 5 days, though, so I guess it wasn't too bad!  I served it sprinkled with salt, and with a seaweed sable on the side.  I thought the two made a nice pair.

14 comments:

  1. Using the seaweed sable as a pairing was a nice touch. There is enough saltiness in the cookie to offset the ice cream.
    Letting go can be tough - I am not sure I will ever totally get there, but sometimes life helps out with that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the seaweed to make the sables and am interested to find out what they taste like. It sounds like it would be a good pairing with this ice cream. Your ice cream looks really good and it sounds like your husband thought so. :) I hope you make this again and see if you like it better - it's always difficult when you compare it to something you have tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jora, our Olive Oil Ice Cream paired with the Seaweed Sablés sounds delicious - what a wonderful idea! And the presentation is very nice too! This is one recipe that I will make again - I really liked it but with a nice mild and fruity organic olive oil.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought my nori for the seaweed sables today and I can't wait to whip up a batch. The recipe just sounds too bizarre not to try. Sorry to hear that your ice cream curdled on you a bit, but sounds like it was still tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have totally overlooked mine too because I was waiting for it to thicken like a pudding or pastry cream. I think it got a little over 180 before I checked it with the thermometer and the spoon test. I definitely support your decision to make it again because it was seriously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. That's exactly what I was looking for, it never did coat the spoon in the way other custards I've made have.

      Delete
  6. I still haven't made the seaweed sables, but I'm glad there is some ice cream left over so I can try them together. I'm glad your husband really enjoyed this, and totally get the insecurity from comparing what we do at home with some treats we can buy.

    Lola posted about how to save curdled ice cream (blend, blend, blend) and I will definitely keep it in mind next time I have the same problem. I just threw my ruined batch and started over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice about saving curdled ice cream. I'm sure this won't be the last time I make this mistake...

      Delete
  7. I am impressed you had the sables done already- I seem to be the Thursday night gal lately. I totally had a curdled experience but am evidently such a novice in the kitchen that I didn't think it was officially curdled (it smelled good, right ?) and just jammed it all through the strainer. Ignorance was bliss and it turned out lovely- shocking us all, including Nana :) Love your story about the ice cream shop- would have LOVED to hit that place up myself. You can always tell it is good when there is a line....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought about seaweed sables but didn't get myself together and get it done. I had curdling problems too but the blender saved it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it looks really good! It is very hard when you have something in your head to compare it to and it do esn't turn out to be exactly what you wanted. I hope it turns out better for you next time. We thought it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea to use the seaweed sable with this. I'm looking forward to making those. I think that cooking and baking are great activities for learning to let go and trust your instincts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally made this last week as an accompaniment for the Gâteau Basque - it worked quite well with it. Did you ever try this recipe again?

      Delete
  11. Ooh, great idea to serve it with seaweed sables on the side!

    ReplyDelete