Tuesday, April 17, 2012

TWD Lemon Loaf Cake

I didn't have a lot of time to cook on Sunday, so I was thrilled when I read in the recipe header that this only takes five minutes to put together.  It probably took me a few extra minutes (I almost never bother with a mise en place), but I loved how quick and easy this recipe was.  My husband (the dish-washer) loved that it only took one bowl and a whisk, no beaters or stand mixer.

I noticed some nice looking Meyer lemons at the grocery store this week, so I bought those for the cake.  I really like the color they give the cake - the flecks of orange are so pretty - and the aroma while it was baking was incredible.  After the cake was baking for a while I - luckily - thought to check the kitchen timer and see how much time was left.  I realized that even though I set my timer for 50 minutes I forgot to hit the start button!  Oh well.  I actually think the cake turned out better because of it.  Once it started getting close I started checking it very frequently, and was able to pull it out of the oven when it was just baked.  I think sometimes I'm too reliant on my timer, and will overcook things because I don't pay enough attention, or I just don't trust myself.


The cake cooled while we ate dinner (grilled!  on our deck!  I'm really enjoying this unseasonably warm weather) and I was so anxious to cut into it that I forgot to take a picture right away.  I read in the P & Q that some people thought the cake was dry, so I also decided to macerate some strawberries to go along with it.  Except my strawberries didn't release any juices at all.  I'm not sure why.  I sliced them, tossed them with sugar, vanilla extract, and mint, and let them sit for a couple of hours.  That usually does the trick.  They still tasted good, though, and we actually didn't think the cake needed them.  It was on the dry side, but I think that's what I enjoy about pound cake.  It was really all about the flavor of the lemons.


For me, the most exciting part is that I now have most of a lemon cake in my freezer.  I'm planning on making it into a trifle - layered with blackberries, lemon curd, and whipped cream - I'm just waiting for the right occasion!  Our hosts for this week are Truc and Michelle, go to their sites to get the recipe, and here to see what the other TWD bloggers thought of the cake.

8 comments:

  1. The thought of a trifle crossed my mind too!! Maybe next time... if i make it a next time!! wasnt it just so easy?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Your strawberries look so deep and red! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your loaf turned out beautifully, Jora. I usually have to give my strawberries a stir every so often for them to develop juice even with the sugar. I made strawberry shortcake with mine and it was so good, so I know your other loaf will be wonderful for trifle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have thought to stir more often. I'm not sure why I thought it was unnecessary. Probably laziness!

      Delete
  4. That trifle sounds fantastic! I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trifle is absolutely a great idea - lemon curd & berries would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have mine in the freezer too, to make a trifle when the berries are in season. I think it will be wonderful in a trifle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trifle, yum! I made mini-loaves and have one in the freezer for later. Maybe I'll try a mini-trifle.

    ReplyDelete